Thanks for stopping by

Thanks for stopping by

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Evening at the Pier



I went out to the San Clemente pier recently and took a few shots.  It had rained that morning so there were still some clouds in the sky.  That made for a more interesting sky for sunset.  All of these shots are HDR (High Dynamic Range), meaning that they are a composite of several pictures shot at different exposure settings.  That way the highlight and shadow areas are properly exposed in the final shot. 


This evening was particularly nice because it was cool but not cold.  That kept the crowd down to a minimum and made for a very comfortable and peaceful stroll along the beach.  I like the leading lines in this second picture.  It leads your eye right to the end of the pier and the setting sun.  

I like to experiment with different post processing techniques.  This next shot is an example of an artistic interpretation of the subject using HDR.  Some may consider it a bit over the top but I like the effect it has on the sky.  What do you think?  

This last picture was obviously taken from under the pier. I converted it to black and white, something that I haven't done much of in the past.  I plan on doing more of it.  Something about black and white that just cuts right to the essence of the subject.  By the way, if you want to see a larger version of any of these pictures, just click on them and you will be able see them in more detail.  If you've got a minute, be sure to leave a comment.  Let me know what you like or dislike.  Thanks.

6 comments:

  1. I enjoy your pictures. These especially since I've been to this location. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of the black and white! The colors are always great, but you're right that black and white just seems to add the right touch to certain photos. Can't wait to see more!

    -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love copies of these beach photos... especially the first one... hmmmm... Christmas gift idea maybe??? :)

    -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the last shot, the black & white photo. I like how it's not totally centered, it's a really nice photo. And I don't know what the color version looks like but this seems like the kind that works even better in black & white. Really great photo!

    -Joey

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such an incredible photographer!

    Joey's right, I also love that the black and white pic is not centered. Somehow, that makes it feel more like we're standing there with you when you're taking this photo.

    And that second pier shot needs to be hanging in a yacht club. It makes me miss the ocean!

    So proud of you,
    -Sandy*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pics! I too love the black and white shot. It really makes me miss my Cali beaches. Great job! Post more.

    Patty

    ReplyDelete